Saturday, August 31, 2013

Seamus Heaney 13/4/1939 - 30/8/2013



Very sad yesterday to hear of the sudden death of Nobel Laureate Seamus Heaney.
I met Seamus a few times. He had that way of talking to you, while standing in a hall packed with his enthusiastic and determined admirers, as if you were the only other person in the room.  Seamus was a charming, sexy, mischievous, lovely man.

I was exhibiting the Yeats in Love series in Galway in 2009. President Higgins (Michael D as he was that day) kindly agreed to open the exhibition and after the event asked me what I intended to draw next. I admitted I hadn't had much of a chance to think about it. 
"Why don't you do a series on Seamus Heaney?" 
I considered this and then remarked,
"Well he does have fabulous eyebrows"

Being a girl who keeps her promises I repaired to my office and began researching Seamus.
I asked a close friend of his if he could give me some small bits of information I could use.
I wanted to do an amusing series of pictures about Seamus but did not want to be the very first person in the world to insult or offend him. I wanted to draw him with some of the things that meant something. His awards. His remarkable hair. A jar of Tadpoles. His favourite shirts. The squadrons of women who followed him around everywhere he went (the "Heaneyboppers").

Picking up tiny stories I'd heard like bits of string, I slowly put a couple of drawings together. 

One drawing said he needed to be reading in his study and I wanted the book to be something relevant.
 I asked his friend, 
 "What might Seamus read in his spare time?"
Expecting the answer to be oh, Plato or Horace or Yeats.
"The Ben Sherman Catalogue" came the reply.





No comments: